Monday, September 22, 2008

Life Inventory

I had a lazy weekend and didn't really do much. My husband and I went to the first meeting of a couples group we joined and it was a lot of fun. We planned to go out later that night, but once we got in the house and relaxed it was over. We never made it out. That was fine with me. I don't need to hit the streets every weekend. Spending quiet days at home with my hubby is nice to do from time to time. We all need that quality time.

I got up early Sunday morning and did some grocery shopping and cleaning and that was about it. Cleaning time is always a good time to think. As I was cleaning my kitchen I started to think about my life. It's been pretty good. I've gone through a few things, but compared to a lot of people it's been a pretty good ride. I started my family at an early age and, even though I know I wasn't the perfect mother, I did the best I could.

My children are great people. They have both had a lot of success academically, but I am most proud of the human beings they turned out to be. You can have a lot of things, but if you're not good down to the white meat, it doesn't really matter. If I never do anything else in my life, I know that I have contributed two beautiful souls to the universe.

There was a time when I wondered if I was enough. I worried that the person I am and the way I lived my life was insufficient. I didn't know if I was a good enough mother or wife, I wondered if I was letting people down, and I constantly agonized over every little thing. My pisces mind is always turning.

I've finally come to the conclusion that who I am is more than enough. I couldn't have been too bad a mother because I raised two wonderful people, my husband and I have had our ups and downs but we're still together, I may not be rich or famous, but i'm comfortable with the life I live and know that I am capable of doing more and will.

There are a few things that are important to me and as I take inventory of my life I realize that I have all that I need. I could always use more, but my life is wonderful just the way it is. I am constantly learning and growing so I know I will be added more ingredients to my pot of life.

I thought about it:

Happiness - Check
Loving family - Check
Fun and laughter - Check
A man who loves me - Check
Good health - Check
Bills paid - Check (even though it's a struggle sometimes, it gets done)
Relationship with the Lord - Check

I think i'm doing pretty good.



Recipe For A Happy Life

One cup of Confidence
One cup of Love
In a pan of Happiness
Mix the above.

Add a pinch of Tenderness
A tablespoon of Truth
Stir well in the Sunshine
Roll out a loving Trust

Flour well with Contentment
Keep all free from Strife
Fill with Understanding
And bake well all your Life

5 comments:

Don said...

25 years and counting...thats whats up. God willing, One day I will be able to say the thing.


Until then, I'd love to trade you for some of those checkmarks.

Strongblkwmn said...

We can trade........Wait, it depends on what you got.

SLC said...

Hey strongblkwmn.
Congratulations on 25 years.
We'll hit 15 in February, and it's been a wonderful journey.
You are definitely doing "pretty good". Good down to the white meat!

Peace
SLC

Standing Able said...

25 years and counting...ya'll do the thang! Congrats and know that the next 25 years will be even better!

Peace and Many Blessings!

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

You've got all of my favorites in the bowl.. lord, love, happiness, truth, contentment and understanding. Throw in some writing utensils and I just might give love another try (smile) Keep doing what ya'll doing and your kids will have the same success!