Friday, September 12, 2008

Just because she's a woman?

I went to the nail salon yesterday and met a really nice lady. We talked about the election and our concern for the direction the country will take if John McCain is elected President. We shared the same concerns and hoped that people who are not registered will realize that their vote counts and get out and do what they need to do.

Another woman who was getting her nails done worked her way into our conversation and said she will not be voting for Obama. We asked her why and she said because of Sarah Palin. Both of us were taken aback because we both felt like Palin was a terrible choice for a Vice Presidential candidate. I asked her what she liked about Palin and she said, "She's a woman."

It turns out that this woman is one of the bitter Hillary Clinton supporters who thinks any woman is better than no woman at all. She said she thinks it would be wonderful to have a woman in such a powerful position. When asked what she thought about Palin's politics, she said she didn't know anything about them.

I was shocked. I think everyone in the place was. It reminded me of something my co-worker said. He said everyone doesn't deserve the right to vote. I'm not sure if I wholeheartedly agree with that, but I understand his point. This woman is willing to put John McCain in office just so Sarah Palin can be Vice President.

I asked the woman how she felt about banning certain books in the library, abolishing Roe-vs-Wade, and cutting funding for programs that help teenage mothers. She said she thought all of those things were terrible. When I informed her that these are things Palin believes in, she shrugged her shoulders and said, "The Vice President doesn't have that much power anyway." We were all at a loss for words.

This just goes to show that the McCain campaign ploy has worked. Putting the self-proclaimed pit bull, lipstick wearing, hockey mom in the second spot will win them some female votes. I think it's a shame that it's that easy. Personally, I don't see how anyone could support her being vice president, but that's just my opinion. I happen to care about the issues.

Issues are the one thing I have not heard Palin talk about. All i've heard her do is make disrespectful comments about Barack Obama. I could not imagine her being President if something happened to McCain. It's bad enough I can't see him being President either.

One would hope that every person who goes to the polls makes an informed decision on who to vote for, but that's just not the case. I'm a Black woman, but if Barack Obama did not stand for anything and I did not agree with him on the issues I would note vote for him. How can someone vote for Palin just because she has the same private parts they do?

3 comments:

Don said...

That's scary, and definitely something that I was afraid of - women voting for Palin simply because she's a woman. I am afraid that Obama isn't going to win this election. I've never simply voted for anyone based on skin color alone, cause I could and would never vote for Sharpton or Rev. Jesse Jackson.

Strongblkwmn said...

It is definitely scary. I try not to imagine what it would be like if McCain was President.

Don said...

If the polls are true, and Obama has fallen behind, then I have to believe The Debates will make a huge difference - Obama/Biden should eat McCain/Palin for breakfast.