Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What does Thanksgiving mean to you?




I haven't thought about Pilgrims and Indians in years. They have nothing to do with the reason I get up early in the morning the last Thursday of every November to prepare my portion of the enormous meal my family will share.

For me Thanksgiving is all about spending time with the ones I love and giving thanks for one another and all of the many blessings we have. It's my favorite holiday, and cooking and getting up early are two things I don't like to do. For some reason, I don't even need an alarm clock on Thanksgiving. I get up bright and early and get to work putting every ounce of love I have into the food i'm preparing.

My father passed ten years ago and his birthday is November 23rd. Thanksgiving has fallen on his birthday once since he's been gone, and it's never far from that date. I take the time to think about the person he was and the impact he had on my life while i'm cooking. Thinking of him makes me smile now, but there was a time when all I could do was cry when November rolled around.

Right before we eat, my family stands in a circle holding hands and each one of us says what we're thankful for. It's a tradition and it's my favorite part of the day. We don't get together the way we once did but I can always count on that day bringing us together. There's nothing better than spending time with the ones you love. We always have a great time.


4 comments:

Keith said...

Thanksgiving is my favorite Holiday too...even more than Christmas..I'm writing a post now about what I'm really thankful for.
I like your family's tradition of standing in a circle and saying what they are thankful for. That's one I'd like to start in my immediate family.

Strongblkwmn said...

Have a great day! It would be great if our tradition became yours as well.

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

(smiles)
Lisa

The Fitness Diva said...

Hey... I hope that you and the fam had a really happy Thanksgiving!
We all have so much to be thankful for, don't we?

Wishing you, Ed and the kids all the happiness in the world!

Take care, Tammy!