Friday, April 3, 2009

Damn Yankees!


So, it's a rainy day in New York. I'm sitting at my desk looking out the window and feeling sleepy. This is a day to be at home watching a movie or writing a good book.

I usually like rainy days. The problem with this one is it ruined my plans. I was suppose to go to the Yankee game. This was not a day for rain. The tickets were free. A friend of my husband's invited us. With the way the tickets prices have skyrocketed i'm not sure i'll be going to any games. I love the Yankees but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg to see them play.

I'm really disappointed in the lack of thought for people who can't afford season tickets or hundreds of dollars to take their family to see the Yankees. I'm hurt because I know that so many young people will not be able to have memories like mine.

My father and I went to Yankee games on a regular basis. That is where my love of sports was cultivated. My parents were divorced and this was time with my father that I cherished. It was our thing. We always had good seats and a lot of fun. I'm 41 years old and thinking of those times makes me smile.

My son will be working at the stadium. When he told me about the job, the first thing I thought of was discounts. You know how we do, always looking for the hook up. He seems to be really excited about it. He shares his mother's love of the Yankees. We watch games together and have in-depth discussions about the team all the time.

The new Yankee stadium does not seem to have been built for the average fan and that makes me sad. The people we were suppose to go with aren't even all that interested in the game. They want to walk around and see what the stadium looks like. Are they crazy? It's the Yankees. If i'm in Yankee Stadium i'm there because I want to watch a baseball game.

My father is no longer here and there are times when I sit and think of him and the days we spent together at Yankee Stadium. A new era may be rolling in, but my memories will last forever.

6 comments:

CareyCarey said...

I love posts that speak about moments with loved ones. They always take me back to moments with my father. My father played baseball and he was my little league coach. There's nothing like sitting with your father eating a hotdog at a baseball park!

Thanks for the memories

Strongblkwmn said...

My dad played baseball too. My son played little league baseball when he was much younger and my mother almost passed out when she saw him in his uniform. She said he looked just like my father.

SLC said...

You know I already had a lot of respect for you, but this post just takes that up a notch. Willy Randolph would be proud of you.


Looks like your tarheels are gonnna beat Nova.........but I still love you sis

Keith said...

My Dad used to take me and my brother to the games too (baseball and Basketball) we were all planning to go to a football game (The one thing he hadn't taken us to) when he died. That was six years ago..This post made me think of that.

Keith said...

Wow! Did everyone in New York City root for North Carolina??? lololol.

Strongblkwmn said...

SLC - So you remember that I thought I was going to marry Willie Randolph? LOL! Having your respect means a lot to me. You definitely have mine.

Keith - We're so lucky to have those memories to look back on.

Go Tarheels!