Monday, October 6, 2008

Today's the Last Day

In most states, today is the deadline for voter registration.

My 20 year old nephew stopped by my house the other day and the first thing I asked him was if he was registered. He was extremely happy to tell me he registered a few days prior. I was happy that he was happy. This election has excited so many people. My nephew and I discussed the campaigns and I was impressed with his knowledge. He really knew what was going on and said he made sure his friends registered as well and he would take them to the polls if he had to.

I registered as soon as I turned 18 and encouraged my children to do the same. It felt so good when I received my card in the mail. Voting was a big deal to me. My mother and sister weren't registered and I did what I could to get them involved.

Barack Obama and John McCain (in a different way) have energized people to get out and vote. There's a permanent voter registration table in the lobby of the hospital where I work and I see people signing up every day. People I know who never really cared about politics have become informed and we are constantly having discussions about the campaign. It's wonderful.

There are only a few weeks left and I hope we can do what, in my opinion, needs to be done. We can't afford more of the same. It's time for a change.

5 comments:

The Fitness Diva said...

Yeah, I sent that 800 voter registration # every which a way I could, and also talked to my family members. This is not a time to play around. You don't get out there and do what you gotta do, then don't be crying in January when ahit hits the fan!

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

I'm with you, I encouraged my kids too. It's our duty. I just wished my mom had schooled me when I was 18, but I'm ready now where it counts the "most". God speed to both canidates!

PS. Don't be mad the day after the election if "you people" sat on the sidelines the day of. This should be a historic event and not because one's black and the other is white!

Strongblkwmn said...

I'm hoping and praying things work out and there aren't any Bush/Gore shenanigans.

Keith said...

I'm trying hard to get people who aren't registered to register. So far that has been only two people.
I know, that's pretty poor..but maybe they will talk to somebody.
My Daughter talked her fiance into getting registered. This makes my entire household. Each one of us has to do what we can. Like you,I'm looking for some last minute trick..I know it's coming..We just have to be ready and steadfast. I applaud what you and others in the blog world are doing to educate the people.

The Fitness Diva said...

If y'all saw that crazy ass McCain on the debate last night acting out his little rage here and there with his comments, and refusing to shake Obama's hand at the end, then you know we all gotta do what we gotta do here.
That's a madman.